The Lounge

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ben, Nov 4, 2012.

1. MagicalZebra Active Member

I actually have a meeting for a job at a violin shop soon, maybe this could be my big chance to do something I actually want to do, cause I want to be a luthier. Making instruments just looks so satisfying.
  2. Corvus Member

I have a friend who has been building a violin as a hobby for a couple years. It's really neat, I'm interested in seeing it completed.
  3. ben Administrator

That's awesome. I always liked the profession as well. If you wind up doing it, maybe I could commission you to build be a guitar down the road.
  4. MagicalZebra Active Member

That would be sweet! But a long way down the road. Speaking of professions though, what does everyone here do?
  5. ben Administrator

I'm a musician.
    Woroworu and Amber like this.
  6. MagicalZebra Active Member

Hahahahahahahahaha

I was going to say "aside from Ben, what does everyone here do?" But I realised that was quite tragically ambiguous
    hughesypf likes this.
  7. hughesypf Active Member

I'm at school still. Just curious MagicalZebra, seeing as we're on the subject of school an jobs; are you at college then? And what subjects are you doing there?

I''m planning on carrying on school and I'm in the middle of picking options. Everyone seems to say you need to know exactly what you want to do, which I think is impossible. And the career-finder-questionaire things that my school uses are just ridiculous. :mad:
  8. MagicalZebra Active Member

Yeah, I'm at sixth form. I'm doing maths, physics, biology and german, but I don't really care about any of them anymore. I used to want to be a physicist. They do pretty much push the rest of your life onto your shoulders, which is tough because nobody really knows what they want, especially not when you're still at school. And those career finding questionaires are pretty much useless. The one I did told me there weren't any jobs which really matched with my interests. Fancy that. What are you picking options for? A-level?
  9. hughesypf Active Member

Wow, that's interesting, I was thinking about being a physicist, or at least something physics related. What put you off it?

And yeh, I'm choosing what A -levels to do at sixth form. It was quite straight-forward but then two options clashed.
  10. MagicalZebra Active Member

Well for a start, I realised I hated maths which is a huge part of physics, then I realised physics was boring itself for me, the only reason I wanted to be a phycisist was because there wasn't much else I could do. But there are other things I can do, and you pretty much get force-fed the fact that you're going to go to sixth form then university and that's your life. It doesn't have to be that way. Which of your options clashed? Biology and german clashed initially so I ended up in economics, I hated it so I managed to stop doing it and now I'm doing german pretty much off-timetable, I only have 4 lessons a fortnight.

But yeah, if you like maths and you're good at it physics will be something you can get into
  11. hughesypf Active Member

Yeh, it's strange that the 'force fed' university route that you talk about is so common and almost expected for people our age. My parents always talk about how 'back in their day' it would have been rare for people to go on to university and only a select few did, rather than the other way round.
    I'm doing Maths and Physics as well, but it's Further Maths and I.T that have clashed. Its annoying but I'll probably just do chemistry instead of one of them. I like both maths and physics, so a physicist would suit me fine, but it's just as likely that I'll have changed my mind in a years time.
  12. mattar Member

I'm still a student and have switched majors and schools a number of times but I finally settled on a degree and should graduate some time next semester. Im going to school to be a medical lab technologist/clinical lab scientist which is the study and performance of lab tests on bodily fluid. Ill probably be one of the first to die if a super disease happens.

I was ok at math but didn't enjoy it, not so great at physics because of the quantity of formulas it required you to memorize. I sort of wish I knew a bit of computer science since computers are a part of every aspect of life almost.
  13. MagicalZebra Active Member

You are a great man, there aren't too many people willing to spend their working lives examining urine.
  14. mattar Member

haha, I've spent 6 years in retail, examining blood, shit, and piss is a cake walk compared to corporate nonsense and self entitled customers. plus I like lab stuff, as long as it doesn't get on me.
    MagicalZebra likes this.
  15. Thrice Member

I'm a Tax Analyst at a Multinational based in Mexico. About to do my MBA in the states. I do video, mountain bike and music on my spare time. Wish it where the other way around though.
  16. Woroworu New Member

Still in school myself. Finishing this year, then planning on moving. Still got no real idea what I want to do career wise, but I'm sure I'll figure something out. :D And for fun, I do the typical student thing, hang out with friends, play games, and draw.
  17. ben Administrator

So I spent the weekend at a comic convention. I like comic conventions. It's one of the only places I like to get really drunk. And then I just wander around and talk to people dressed in crazy costumes. Always a good time.
  18. MagicalZebra Active Member

I'll have to try that one day. It seems like there are all sorts of places where you can get drunk for fun.
  19. mattar Member

I like comics but I am always overwhelmed by them because of how many comics are in an arc and cross references so I stick to graphic novels and compiled books. Recently read book one of Alan Moore's Swamp Thing and book one of Deadpool classic both were great IMO. I want to read the Civil War arc but it falls into the "overwhelmed by issues" category. I've never been to a con though, seems like fun.
  20. MagicalZebra Active Member

I used to read a few graphic novels, but never really superhero ones. Superheroes have just never been that appealing. I like all the comics about animals. I think this may be the best thing I've ever read:
    [IMG]