The Lounge

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ben, Nov 4, 2012.

1. ben Administrator

Just a thread for posting things that don't necessarily deserve their own thread. Mini-updates, or random discussions, and so on. I always like having one of these.
  2. ben Administrator

Ants are bastards. They've been all over my kitchen for a couple weeks now. None of the easy solutions have worked. I think I'm gonna have to call a pest control person.
  3. ben Administrator

Also, I think I'm gonna get a cat. I haven't had a pet since I was about 9 years old. I originally wanted a dog, but a lot of the breeds I love aren't good for Florida (Huskies, Newfoundlands, etc), and my life isn't structured enough for a dog. My schedule is all over the place. But I like cats a lot, too, and I've never lived with one.

Maybe I can find a cat that eats ants.
  4. KissesOfBelladonna New Member

Ahh, here's what you need, a baby anteater. Also serves as a glove for those cold winter days. [IMG]
  5. ben Administrator

Hahaha. That is adorable.
  6. MagicalZebra Active Member

Get a cat! They're good for all schedules, because they're their own little people.

I hate doing schoolwork.
  7. KissesOfBelladonna New Member

Public education in America is a joke; mainly because we're the only country that gives everyone a fair chance. It's ridiculous how many of my teachers give grade curves to jocks, cheerleaders, etc.
  8. MagicalZebra Active Member

I live in England, and I haven't seen any favouritism in grading so far at school which is lucky i guess.
  9. mattar Member

I feel like public schools don't prepare you for college here, I breezed through high school with little effort and as soon as I got to a university I hit a wall. Also there are some great teachers but they are so few and far between I've had maybe 4 great teachers before college and even fewer in college but its the nature of the beast to not connect to your professors I guess.
  10. ben Administrator

I was never one for school. My grades were fine, but it wasn't the best format for me. I didn't go very often. Plus I had a bit of an authority complex as a kid. So I never went to college. I've always done best to just dive in and figure things out.

But I have run into some great teachers outside of the school setting, and I love the idea of passing along knowledge. Just not so much the school setting, I guess.
  11. ben Administrator

I was reading about the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy today, after talking with some friends up north.

I like when people blame hurricanes on gay people. Makes me feel like I have a super power.
    Pedro Meadows and MagicalZebra like this.
  12. MagicalZebra Active Member

That gave me a good belly laugh. New favourite quote.
  13. a flicker of light Active Member

Well, this will feel refreshing, as I do no long have a twitter account nor facebook, I can at least pretend other people will care what I am doing with my daily life at the moment. hehe.

I've been very absorbed in books, and I think it might even be a problem, ignoring phone calls and not answering the door is a little harsh. I think it might have something to do with my wife and I's swapped hours in work (I open she closes).
    Started writing again, when I'm not reading.

Also been following the hurricane reporting damage, but mostly to find out if people are making it okay, not who's died. That seems to be all the media once to report "One hundred casualties!" over and over. I h ave a sister that lives in Jersey but she's eighty miles inland.

As far as a cat Cooper, I think a cat is alright. They either want attention or they scoff at you for trying to touch them. That's one of the reasons I don't like cats, but I do like the felines that have dog like characteristics. Those are a good find. I wish you luck and you better post picture of your new family when you get a new addition.
  14. MrImSoGreat Member

Ben, if you want a cat, I've got 3 that need good homes. I don't know how I would ship...
  15. mattar Member

When I hear people say shit like people being gay causes weather phenomena I really dont know how to even process it. I mean I think an almighty being could take care of business with a little less collateral damage if it bothered it enough to bust out the big guns. I don't even know how that idea pops in someones head. What I always think is people say it for attention, no one really believes that... I hope.

and as far as shipping cats, I think you are suposed to vacuum seal them and put them in coffee grounds so the dogs cant find them, err something like that.
  16. ben Administrator

I'm usually caught off guard when I see people so upset about gays. But I guess I spend all my time around people who don't care, so it allows me to forget. Which is another way of realizing I'm pretty fortunate.

And not all cats are that way, Flicker. But to be fair, a lot of my favorite cats are kind of dog like. I like it when animals just come and hang out with you.

I'm actually still doing research about allergies and such. So it'll be a while before I do this. Plus, I really particularly like British Shorthairs.

[IMG]
    Holy crap.
  17. mattar Member

Have you seen munchkin cats? They are like cat corgis and they are so cute it hurts me on the inside of my soul.
  18. MagicalZebra Active Member

One of my cats is a british shorthair. I'm also a british shorthair, but that's another matter entirely. Ben you should get a black cat, they have the highest rate of being put down because nobody wants black cats :(
    [IMG]
    Squid would really like you if you did.
  19. Amber Member

They're like the cat version of the Dachshund dogs.

[IMG]
  20. MagicalZebra Active Member

It's kind of cruel though, they're not capable of the same things ordinary cats are ):