The Lounge

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ben, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Tim Member

And also, do you have an Instagram account?
  2. ben Administrator

Yeah, I've been to Brussels a couple times. Never had a problem. Everyone I met there was nice, and I enjoyed doing some touristy stuff. Found some really good food, too, which always moves a city up a few pegs for me.

But I don't see why people would hate it there. Nothing struck me as particularly odd or extreme.
  3. ben Administrator

And yeah, I have an instagram. I've been trying out a personal one with friends and such. I like it.
  4. ben Administrator

So I had an awesome Thanksgiving with the family on Thursday, and yesterday we did a "Friendsgiving", which was basically a second Thanksgiving dinner with friends instead of family. I regret nothing. But my stomach has hurt for two days.
  5. MagicalZebra Active Member

We don't celebrate thanksgiving in England, but I've heard all about the stomach-stretching goodness. I eat too much on a regular basis anyway, but thanksgiving sounds extreme.
  6. Craig Member

7. ben Administrator

8. minor_glitch Member

Just heard Welcome Home (Reprise) used in a Kids Help Phone commercial. Very cool.
  9. ben Administrator

Oh, nice. Didn't realize that aired. It's always fun to be able to help out a good cause in some way.
  10. ben Administrator

How much does setting affect you when it comes to shows?

I think it affects things quite a bit for me. I saw Jeff Mangum last night. In the Aeroplane over the Sea was a huge influence on me when it came out. 1998, so I would've been in the 10th grade. That record is what got me into the folkier side of music, and why I first bought an acoustic guitar (I'd only played electric up until then). So it was definitely something I wanted to see.

I enjoyed the show, but the setting was a detractor. I guess most clubs don't strike me as a great place to listen to music.
  11. Corvus Member

I'm seeing Jeff Mangum next month. Pretty exciting.
  12. a flicker of light Active Member

Unpacking from a long weekend up at Lake Tahoe*, with the wife's 30'th bday celibration. It's the end of the month and I can't help but keep checking Ben's main page for updates. I'm kind of dancing a little.
  13. ben Administrator

I know. I need to update. I've just been recording a bunch and kind of neglecting everything else. But it's coming.

Recent realization: having friends who enjoy milkshakes as much as you do is a good way to gain weight.
    MagicalZebra and dogbert like this.
  14. minor_glitch Member

15. Amber Member

16. Tim Member

Am I the only person who dreads weddings as much as funerals?

I was invited to a "black tie optional" wedding which means tux or at least a full suit with tux shoes, cufflinks, etc. I'm pretty sure I have an old, ill-fitting sportcoat somewhere and a pair of baggy suit pants. I just haven't had any reason to dress up in the past, like, 5 years. Purchasing a new wardrobe (especially a formal one) is not within my means at the moment; also, just being invited apparently signifies the "proper etiquette" of sending a $50 (minimum) gift back to this couple. I'm also pretty laid-back in my everyday life, but weddings, funerals, church services, and other formal events provoke this unexplainable social anxiety in me. So, all of this sounds like a "Politely Declines" box will be checked on the RSVP cards. I feel like a jerk, but all of this seems a bit inconvenient.

I have no idea why I posted this rant for a bunch of strangers to read, but I guess that's the purpose of the "Lounge" thread in the first place.
  17. MagicalZebra Active Member

Don't feel like a jerk, anybody who believes they deserve a $50 gift just for inviting you to their wedding deserves to have said gift inserted deep within their rectum. If I ever get married the dress code will be wizard hats and capes for sure.

You should go along to the wedding in a drug rug and pyjama pants
  18. Tim Member

They never said that, but my other friends said that $50 is standard. I get it; weddings are expensive and they're paying for me to have free food. Cool. But I don't have $50 for a gift. I might have $50 for a cape, wizard hat, and pajama pants though.

Back to your regularly-scheduling lounging...
  19. ben Administrator

I've always been a uncomfortable at most weddings. But I'm funny about tradition. I only really care for personal traditions, between specific people. Those mean a lot to me. But thing like weddings, with lots of little rituals that most don't even know the root or significance of, just feel odd. I'm happy to do it for the people involved if that's what they want, but it's not my thing personally.

But I did recently marry someone dressed as Friar Tuck from Robin Hood. That was pretty fun. And another friend who recently got married actually had a fun wedding. But I knew 80% of the people there, so it really just felt like a big get together.
  20. ben Administrator

On the topic of gifts, a number of people I know have started implementing a fun rule: no gifts necessary, but if you want to bring one it has to be something you made. Keeps cost out of it, and people are usually more creative. I like the system a lot.