FOOOOOOOOOOOOOD?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MrImSoGreat, Jul 31, 2012.

1. kako Member

It seems that it's pretty cool to walk in the old street !
    Yes :)
  2. a flicker of light Active Member

I could easily be bashed for saying this, but after my wife and I finished reading 'Eating Animals' by Jonathan Safran Foer, I've toned it back a bit on eating whatever is thrown in front of me. Yes, I suppose I've sort of seen a larger amount of money being spent on free range organic foods, but I've been feeling healthier and I suppose even subconsciously at ease. Some of the stuff that goes on in factory farming should really be looked at, for all public.

Not here to preach, although I leave anyone that wants to look into what I'm talking about, go ahead and read the book.

So, to get more on topic, I've been graciously been given lots of backyard grown veggies that I've been playing around with on my small weber grill. I think peppers are fantastic on the grill. Yum!
  3. ben Administrator

Having spent a little time in Portland last month, I don't know why more cities don't have food carts everywhere. They are awesome. Especially when they are right next to a public park and it's a nice day out. And when the Indian street food is really good.

I've also realized that I like yogurt drinks a little too much.
    kako likes this.
  4. Gabbers Member

Nothing tastes better than home grown meat if you have the ability <3 my Dad and Uncle (who I am staying with now) both keep pigs and chickens and my uncle keeps sheep and I've never had anything quite as good :)

On another note I've just cooked this for the first time and it's honestly the best lasagne I've ever tasted and you can't really go wrong with it so definitely worth a try http://allrecipes.com/recipe/worlds-best-lasagna/detail.aspx
  5. ben Administrator

Yeah, I was really surprised by the difference in quality when I finally had some farm raised meats. I now stick to the free range stuff whenever possible. It's more costly, but I just eat less of it, which I should anyway.

I just finished a year of no caffeine, just to see if I could do it. I had my first cup of coffee last week, and my hands were shaking. Hahaha. I'm gonna limit my caffeine from here on out, but I picked up some coffee gelato yesterday that I'm pretty damn excited about.
  6. a flicker of light Active Member

Ah! I know another one of Ben's weaknesses! So, the Yogurt drinks taunt you too, do they?

-Funny.
  7. ben Administrator

Yep. Lassi is awesome.

I am also a sucker for pastries, and always but more than I can eat when I go into bakeries.
  8. mattar Member

Had pho for the first time for dinner tonight. Complete with tripe, tendon, rare beef and whatever else they added (I just orderd the one with everything) not bad, tendon is texturally odd but the overall flavor wasn't off putting. I added a lot of spice because I enjoy spicy food.
  9. ben Administrator

Pho is awesome. And yeah, tendon and tripe are a little odd at first, but I liked them overall.

It's a really filling meal, too.
  10. MrImSoGreat Member

Oh yeah, pho is pho-king amazing.
    MagicalZebra likes this.
  11. ben Administrator

There's a place in Jacksonville called "Pho King Noodles". Not sure if it's any good, but whenever I drive by I high five the name.
    MrImSoGreat likes this.
  12. mattar Member

hahaha with a name like that they can probably survive off shirt sales alone. I had pho again last night, I guess im hooked. I think ill try indian next because i have never had it before. anyone have any suggestions on what to get if i go to an indian restaurant?
  13. MagicalZebra Active Member

Chicken biryani. Oh my goodness.
  14. Thijs Wijnberg New Member

Too bad that street stalls arent as common in europe as in Asia. I once went to thailand on vacation and i will never forget the delicious food i ate there. (just like the whole experience of going to another culture, lets not forget that!)
    Green curry and massaman curry are my favs!
    MagicalZebra likes this.
  15. MrImSoGreat Member

The best thing I had recently was Chicken Liver on Toast at The Spotted Pig in NYC. It was delicious, but it didn't look so.

[IMG]
  16. ben Administrator

I'm always arguing for food carts. I love 'em. They're often cheap and delicious.

I'm probably bad for suggestions, as I love Indian food and kind of eat all of it, but there's a place in town called India's that makes a coconut naan that I might kill someone for.
  17. mattar Member

haha, thats a good recommendation! I'll have to check it out along with the biryani.
  18. Dan Reuben New Member

Ben, this is probably the most disgusting thing I have ever eaten..

DSCF2436.JPG

Out in Portugal we visited this old couple living in a rural area. It's basically a garlic sausage except, the Grissel and belly fat and blood are stuffed whole.

..But I was polite and ate some!!
  19. MrImSoGreat Member

It looks delicious though.
  20. ben Administrator

The ol' "I'm eating this solely to not offend anyone" scenario is always funny to me. I'll try anything once, but I have definitely had times where I'm cleaning my plate to be nice, but would much rather have left it at a bite.