Wrapped In Piano Strings

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alex, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Alex New Member

Hi, Ben! I was just curious, were the lyrics to Wrapped In Piano Strings inspired by Chan-wook Park's short film "Cut"? I just finished watching it and I couldn't help but notice the similarities.
  2. MagicalZebra Active Member

I'm pretty sure Ben thinks of all the stories his songs tell by himself, but no story is every completely original
  3. Alex New Member

I see. I just noticed similarities like a ring rolling across the floor, a girl wrapped in piano strings, her tied-up lover desperately trying to reach her as she gets sliced up.... all that good stuff. It's part of a collection of Asian horror shorts called "Three Extremes" (instant watch on Netflix). I definitely recommend checking them out, if only for the haunting Miike Takashi film, "Box".

Er... I suppose I should have put this in the recommended movies thread.
  4. MagicalZebra Active Member

I may check those out, they sound... interesting.
  5. Thrice Member

This is quite interesting, I just saw the short film, in Italian, because stupid Netflix over here wont let me see it, so I saw it on youtube. Danm good production. I would love to hear an answer on Ben's part to this. I definitely see the connection.
  6. ben Administrator

I've actually never heard of this film. But now I'm curious to see what the similarities are. I can't use Netflix in Canada, but I get home on Monday.

But I have heard of Takashi Miike. Audition is a really good movie I probably won't ever watch again. Hahaha.
  7. Alex New Member

Audition is twisted. You should write a song based around that one, Ben!

Fair warning, the subject matter in the first film "Dumplings" is quite... controversial. Let's just say, it's one Asian horror film that will never be remade in America. Enjoy! ;)
  8. ben Administrator

I'll have to be careful. Horror never used to bother me, but some of the modern stuff is too much. I can't do stuff like Martyrs and Inside.
  9. Alex New Member

Well, the only one that's overtly gruesome is "Cut" (the one that reminds me of the lyrics to Wrapped in Piano Strings). "Dumplings" is more conceptually disturbing and "Box" is more of an art film than a horror. You can do it, man!

I haven't seen Martyrs or Inside. Pretty shocking?