Television Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MrImSoGreat, Jun 29, 2012.

1. MrImSoGreat Member

I figured since the movie thread has some pretty good discussions... Why not a television thread?

I guess I'll start it off with what I'm watching.

1. 2nd watch-through of Breaking Bad in preparation of the new season
    2. Tried watching True Blood, but only made it 3 episodes in... Cannot stand the acting, dialogue and accents.
    3. Just finished my first watch-through of The Sopranos, took me long enough. The last 5 minutes are by far the most incredible directing in television history (in my opinion).
    4. Just finished season 5 of Mad Men. I felt this season was pretty weak and unfocused.
    5. The second season of Suits just started back up. I can't put my finger on it... But I really dig this one.
    6. The Newsroom just started. And the pilot episode is AMAZING. Cannot think of any show in recent memory with a more captivating premiere. (HBO has been kind enough to upload the entire first episode on YouTube... http://www.youtube.com/verify_age?next_url=/watch?v=1U4ZhFDFYvE)
    7. Last but not least... Patiently awaiting the return of Sons of Anarchy.
  2. MagicalZebra Active Member

I really enjoyed all of House. Except for that I don't watch a lot of television except to watch stuff on the movie channels.
  3. MrImSoGreat Member

I don't watch television... Just television shows. I watch after they are out on bluray or I torrent them. We have cable only because the package with the internet was cheaper than just internet alone, but I never watch live TV. Is that odd?
  4. Amber Member

I don't even own a television haha.
  5. Tim Member

Arrested Development, Arrested Development, Arrested Development.

And some AbFab.

All of "my shows" are finished for the season, so I always return to the two listed above to fill the void.
  6. ben Administrator

I own a television, but I don't have cable. It's basically there for watching movies and playing Street Fighter. So I watch all my shows on Netflix or DVDs.

Currently watching Season 2 of "Louie." I like his show. He touches on some topics that are pretty surprising, but in general I just like the pace and style of it.

Some favorites:

Arrested Development
    The Simpsons (seasons 3 - 8)
    Futurama
    Battle Star Galactica
    Carnivale
    Seinfeld
    Neon Genesis Evangelion
    The Kids in the Hall

Ones I will probably watch next:

Breaking Bad (started but got busy ... need to pick up again)
    Game of Thrones (I'm a fan of the books, but I still haven't started the show)
    Walking Dead (Have the first season, just haven't watched it)
  7. Fabh Member

The only things I watch on TV are The Simpsons and Futurama. When I was younger, I used to watch Malcolm, and even if I didn't watch it since a while, I still like it. But I watch two TV shows on my computer yet: Adventure Time (a funny cartoon) and Game of Thrones.
  8. Jamie New Member

The Walking Dead occupied my television for most of the year, other than that it's just news.
  9. eoin.anderson Member

I'll join in. Like most of you I don't watch tv really, but if I like a show I watch it pretty religiously. So here's a list of my shows (can't believe no one has mention any) in no particular order. I highly recommend all of them
    1. Dexter - It's pretty dark, but Dexter is a really compelling character and the story line keeps you guessing all the way through.
    2. Game of Thrones - Definitely the next Lord of the Rings. The acting and character casting is incredible and the story is unbelievably in depth. Also if you read I'd recommend reading the books first!
    3. Chuck - Chuck is a lot lighter than most of the shows I watch. It's an action comedy about a guy who gets a bunch of government secrets uploaded to his brain and has a cia and nsa handler to watch over him. It's a little cheesy at times, but I like the character development and it without a doubt has the best soundtrack I've ever heard in a tv show.
    4. Misfits - I've just started watching this, but it's pretty interesting. It's about a group of kids doing community service when a storm hits and they're all given powers. It's got a pretty dark humor, and again the soundtrack is really awesome.
  10. ben Administrator

I forgot about Dexter! I need to catch up. I saw the first two seasons when they were released and really enjoyed them.

I really liked the first two seasons of Lost as well. Then the third kind of took a nose dive for me, and I haven't seen the rest.
  11. Pedro Meadows Member

Some other shows worth mentioning would be Wilfred which plays right before Louie. It's got Elijah Wood (Frodo Baggins) as a lawyer who sees his neighbors dog as a man dressed in a dog's costume. They also proceed to smoke pot together and get into mischief. I know that sounds absurd, but it's got some really amazing writing. Season two just started with the new season of Louie (just as a side note, I love Louie, season two was especially strong).

Another show (also on FX) worth mentioning is It's Always Sunny In Philidelphia. It's starting to drag a bit at this point, but the first few seasons were absolutely hilarious.

And lastly, Metalocalypse. It's a show about the most Metal band on the planet who are pretty much the most famous amazing entity to ever come into existence (they are the 5th largest economy in the world). I don't really listen to Metal, but as a music lover it's definitely funny to watch an animated show about a band that plays on tops of volcanos because it's metal.
  12. MagicalZebra Active Member

Just remembered. 3rd rock from the sun and M*A*S*H. I used to watch them when I was about 9 years old. They were older than that I'm sure, but still. The comedies of my youth.
  13. MrImSoGreat Member

Just as a reminder to all that are emotionally invested... Breaking Bad season 5 premieres on Sunday.

I can't wait...