Playing live

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MagicalZebra, Sep 15, 2012.

1. MagicalZebra Active Member

A lot of people on this forum are musicians, so I just wondered what anyone's experience of playing live is. Please share!

Last night I played at a small charity event along with some other bands from my yeargroup, but all the other bands were playing rock/indie rock which people could dance/mosh to, and me and my friend played folk. Playing folk to a crowd of drunk, loud teenagers went down slightly better than expected, but it was quite difficult to hear ourselves. They enjoyed our Welcome Home cover though. They all sang along with the chorus because they know it from the Nikon advert, haha.
    kako likes this.
  2. ben Administrator

I like playing live. I just don't like living on the road. I can lose my voice really easy, so the entire time touring I have to be really careful about what I eat and drink, and to not talk too much before playing, and really work to get enough sleep. I'm jealous of some of my friends, who can drink as much as they want and scream their lungs out, then wake up fine the next day. Touring is exhausting because I have to be so careful. But I like the shows themselves.

But yeah, I've played plenty of quiet shows to drunk folks. Not the easiest scenario, but really common here in Jacksonville. Which is why, when me and Alex were playing out a lot around town, in 2002 - 2004 (I quit playing here at all on 2005), we were pretty antagonistic. We would just screw with the audience for our own amusement, and I think most people in town more or less hated us. Hahaha. I remember playing a cover of Hallelujah, which we slowly converted into the song "Ho" from Ludacris, and half the audience walked out in anger.
    Gabbers likes this.
  3. MagicalZebra Active Member

Hahahaha, that's classic. Did you have any dubious polygonal pole dancers handy like in the music video?
  4. ben Administrator

Unfortunately, we didn't have the budget. But that would've been even better.
  5. Gabbers Member

Not something that can be said for Andy (astronautalis) at the end of his tour :p if you can say that he has an end to his tours at all, he's probably on the road more often that not.