My First Movie

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Regan King, May 16, 2012.

1. Regan King Member

I find all of you so much more knowledgeable in the music, film and lit side of life than i am ... anyways to the point ... Europe and America, my best mate and Zero plans ... filmed using a GoPro and normal handycam(i havent bought it yet) but yeah we are recording the whole trip and then im going to try and edit down to a somewhat shortish film ... using a mac and Imovie to create it ... tho if i get better suggestions for movie making software i'll trust your judgements more than mine ... cool lets run !
  2. Thrice Member

I'm actually participating in a short fil project called Project Filmbox which consist of filming a 10 minute short film completely on a GoPro 2 camera. I have started using Adobe Premier as an editing software, and since I'm new to it, its rather hard. I used to edit in Movie Maker which is simple to get clips together along with music. More advanced editing software allows for clips which require more than one sound clip, motion tracking, and in general more customability of anything you can do with imovie or movie maker.
  3. Regan King Member

dude yeh thats whats up , i dont wanna do much more then string clips together and play with some effects i wont be starting this all till Oct when im home but if i can get the hang of it before hand i'll have a better idea of what to film
  4. Thrice Member

Like I said, I'm new to this, but what makes a movie in my opinion are the creative camera angles and how you take the viewer from one scene to the other in order to properly deliver the message you intend to. Any semi professional or professional editing software will take time to learn and will be expensive. My opinion is that you should stick to imovie until you feel its too simple for you. I think I jumped in early myself. For this project I will probably edit it all out in Movie Maker, then use Premier Pro to further edit the sound and colour correct some scenes so that they look better. Also to export it in the proper file format they want.

Check out my youtube page when you have a chance. Haven't uploaded any short fil clips yet though.
    http://www.youtube.com/ilmakeyoufamous
  5. ben Administrator

I use Premiere as well, but only just switched to it late last year. I think Thrice has the right of it. Something like imovie is nice and simple. I recommend rolling with that, or something equivalent, until you feel it's limiting you. The more advanced programs are great, but they're an investment, both in time and money, and you likely won't even appreciate all the stuff they do without starting simpler first.

And the GoPros are great little cameras. Just be warned, the sound on them is awful. But for images and ease of use, really good.
  6. Regan King Member

yer the gopro is mainly for footage, something a little tougher and easy to have with you theres gonna be a few rough nights out with it im sure , but we are also hitting. i really enjoy that NIKE "not a commercial" commercial i mean clearly those lads knew what they were doing editing wise and $$$ wise but im drawing some inspiration from that and thats a direction i wanna go in. it just seems to flow http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxfZkMm3wcg ... tho i dont really dig the music involved