Favorite Ben Cooper song titles?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Corvus, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Corvus Member

There are a bunch of ones I think are great, but "Graves And The Infinite Arm", definitely takes the cake.

(Love the new website, by the way)
  2. Pedro Meadows Member

We Crawl Through Ceilings.

Ben any chance I can get the story for this song. It's the first song of yours I ever heard. It was on a mix cd I got from a friend. I love the feeling of the song and the end is so awesome when you repeat.

There's nothing wrong with smiling on your way through the windshield.
    There's nothing wrong with laughing as your heart beat stops.
    There's nothing wrong with dancing as the missile hits the roof.
    And there's nothing wrong with grinning as your last hopes are shot.

I swear that part still gives me chills, and I sing along like a little kid every time. Also what's with that Benedict Arnold line? I swear that's had me confused forever. I don't know if I could explain how much this song has meant to me over the years and I'd love to hear the story of how it came into existence.

P.S. The new site is so awesome! So stoked for the vinyl sale! Now I've got the whole Electric President discography on vinyl! So cool!
  3. MagicalZebra Active Member

I like the "Robophobia", "Some Crap About the Future", "Eat Shit and Die" and "Not in Nottingham". The last one mainly because I live in Nottingham, haha.
  4. Corvus Member

One of my favorites too. It sounds like a late Radical Face vs. Phalex Sledgehammer track, but it is really well produced for that era, and it's not on any of their albums, so I'm not sure. My best guess is 2002-2003, maybe as late as 2004.
    Pedro Meadows likes this.
  5. Thrice Member

Some Crap About the Future definetly.
  6. eoin.anderson Member

Anyone know where to get We Crawl Through Ceilings? I've looked for it, but I've never been able to find it!
  7. Jamie New Member

I think mine is actually Junkyard Chandelier. I just like the idea of something referred to ask junk being used for something productive and the song is one of my favorites.
  8. Pedro Meadows Member

Sending you a PM
    eoin.anderson likes this.
  9. ben Administrator

10. ben Administrator

Awesome! I forgot I even had those vinyls. They'd been stuffed in my closet for a good 2 or 3 years from a tour that fell through.

As for that song, it's a bit of a scattered one. I think I recorded it in 2003 or so on a fostex 8-track, and I made the beat with MTV Music Generator, which was a crappy sequencing program I found in a bargain bin, and a casio keyboard. And that opening line came about because I'd been reading up on Benedict Arnold, comparing the reputation to the actual person. So I guess it's kind of an offhand way of saying most of us are never any better. I guess all the words are pretty pessimistic, but in an "It's okay, just find a way to enjoy yourself" kind of way.

If you'd ever seen the backyard of the house I grew up in, you'd know exactly where the words and title for that song came from. I was basically just describing how I grew up.
  11. Eduardo Brown New Member

Family portrait.. the lyrics are just what I wish I could write..
  12. coffee Member

"Asleep On A Train" is a title that really hits me heavy with the imagery. I've never actually slept on a train, but my mind really starts to drift with that title and the following music.

"Wrapped In Piano Strings" is another evocative title. I think I'm drawn to the ones that don't really make sense as a phrase, ones that are fully un-cliche, ones that really get you thinking.
  13. Pedro Meadows Member

I have slept on a train (no sleeper either mind you) and it wasn't really super great. The whole seeing the wide open country side was fantastic, but the sleep was inconsistant and uncomfortable at best. I did realize though that the booths in the snack cart would make ideal sleeping quarters over the reclinable amtrak seats.
  14. MagicalZebra Active Member

I have fallen asleep on a train while listening to asleep on a train. I go on trains quite regularly and listening to radical face while watching the fields fly past is pretty good.
    jwalker and Pedro Meadows like this.
  15. Leandro Bicalho New Member

It's hard to pick just one, I love Black Eyes and Lullaby (seems to speak of a nightmare)
  16. MagicalZebra Active Member

I think this thread was intended to be for the titles alone, not our actual favourite ben songs :rolleyes:
  17. Corvus Member

Correct, although "Favorite Ben Cooper songs" would make a good thread too.
  18. Nomel New Member