Barely speak a word of English

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by quasar-2009, May 8, 2012.

1. quasar-2009 Member

hi, english is not my first language, so could anybody help me with understanding lyrics to his songs? :)
  2. ben Administrator

If you have any questions, just post them here and I'll do my best to explain.
  3. quasar-2009 Member

thank you) there's a lot of phrases that i don't understand, so here's some of them
    "I carry in my chest a
    pound of flesh"
    "we're haunted"
    "As the laugh tracks come tickle, our hairs."
    "a moth stuck in the ground
    has made a house of your lightbulbs"

and about "The Strangest Things". I think i unerstand the words, but the meaning is unaccessible for me.
    The same thing with "Fog in the House of Lightbulbs". why does the ghost sleep in the kitchen sink?:)
  4. ben Administrator

The first one is broken apart a little differently. It would read like this:

"My empty belly and my body aches ain't hard to take next to the weight I carry in my chest. A pound of flesh could never tip the scale that I've made. I should have stayed, but I was never wise."

"We're haunted." In this case, I meant it as being troubled by bad thoughts/experiences.

The next is actually: "As the laugh tracks come and tickle our ears."

The Strangest Things I explained a bit about in the Q&A thread, so I'll just copy that here: "The Strangest Things is basically a song about a hermit, someone slowly losing his mind from the inside of his house. His only solace is in watching his daughter sleep (that's what the last section is about). It's what keeps all the paranoia at bay."

And Fog in the House of Lightbulbs would be a tough one to explain. It's all personal references for me from the time (2002, I guess), and contradictions. I don't think it would mean much to anyone else.
    quasar-2009 likes this.
  5. Thrice Member

Awesome. I guess a pound of flesh is referencing his guilt? I have tons of questions like this. Still, I always give it some meaning of my own. Songs, movies and books are different every time you read them as you and your thoughts are different as well. Just read Green Thumbs again and it was like reading a different story, not at all like I remembered.
    quasar-2009 likes this.
  6. quasar-2009 Member

thanks! I finally got it.
  7. ben Administrator

Yep. The setting of the song is a long walk home with your guilt to think about. There are multiple POVs in the song though. It kinds hops around.
  8. Thrice Member

I draw parallels between the scenes in the Pound of Flesh video and my personal imagination of Earl walking through the woods (Green Thumbs). Sorry, but every time I read the story I picture earl as being some version of you. I do a lot of sports on the woods, and I can't help but notice a lot of references to trees and nature in your Radical Face stuff. Am I right about this or is it just my imagination?
  9. hughesypf Active Member

I read Green Thumbs a few weeks ago when it was posted in the other thread. It was a great by the way.
    I too noticed similarities between it and some of your songs and videos. Specifically Severus and Stone. The line "all the trees stood like skeletons" is kind of reversed in Green Thumbs.

I was surprised how dark and strange it was. But I guess its similar to all the spooky 'ghost' stuff themes in Ghost. How do you come up with all these crazy ideas! :) haha