I'm done ...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ben, Jul 17, 2013.

1. ben Administrator

Hahaha. Sorry to be all ominous. Didn't mean it that way. But you don't really have to worry. I will always make music in some form. It's a compulsion at this point.

Well, each of these albums is a step forward in time, and I really want each one to feel different. Some elements carry over, but there's more drum sets, and playing with sound, and it's more upbeat overall (musically, not lyrically ... I'm never a very cheery writer). The EP is more downtempo, and not super indicative of the album. I'm happy with all the songs on it, but I couldn't make them play nice with the rest of the album.

Another difference is how the words were written. The Roots was based in story telling. The idea of someone telling a group of people a story, or relating events verbally. This album is mostly based in letters. Correspondence from one person to another. I wanted to see how it would affect things, and I think it's subtle, but it definitely changed how I wrote and even how some things wound up being arranged.

The third album is based in photos and film. So more of the mood will be set by the sounds and the music, and the words will likely become both more descriptive and more obscured in terms of content.
    Carrie Potter likes this.
  2. Carrie Potter Member

Gee, ya don't say? Haha.

I thoroughly enjoy how much thought you put into each album, each song! So excited for the release!
  3. jwalker Member

Woo! I'm really excited for this. And for the November show ;D
    MagicalZebra likes this.
  4. Amber Member

Fall is the perfect time for a new Radical Face record. I seem to be listening to your music mostly in fall/winter. Also looking forward to your show here in my hometown!
  5. neonbible Member

I just had a slight Autumn feeling looking out the window and came here to post the same thing! Haha.

So glad The Branches is being released at that time of the year.
    Amber likes this.
  6. MagicalZebra Active Member

Just about 2 years after the roots!
  7. Corvus Member

For those who didn't catch the newsletter, the official release date for The Branches is October 22. The newsletter also said that Bastards volume 2 will be out within two weeks of now.
  8. hughesypf Active Member

Yes, exciting stuff! By the way, what's up with your mouth that you mentioned in the newsletter, Ben? Hope its not gonna be a burden on your tour and everything.:)
  9. uublog New Member

I'm ridiculously excited for this. It's been a great year for music and I've actually bought a lot of records I've enjoyed for the first time, starting to build a collection. Can't wait to add this to it, I might even have to add The Roots while I'm at it. I gotta say, though, with all these projects you have going on I don't know how you can ever not feel tired like you have after this one. I appreciate all the great work regardless!
  10. ben Administrator

Well, turns out to be quite a bit. My teeth have been hurting me for a while now, but in the past couple months it's started to affect my ability to sleep. I haven't had insurance since I was a kid, so I haven't seen a dentist since I was 10 or so. I figured I was gonna need a couple root canals, but it wasn't that simple.

A couple years ago, I needed to have an impacted wisdom tooth removed. It was cutting heavily into my gums, and had become one of the worst pains I've ever felt. So I went to one of those places where you can just pay 200 dollars and they rip out the tooth. It was a bad experience. Novocain doesn't work so great on me, and I wound up feeling the operation pretty strongly. The tooth was very stubborn, had to be broken over ten times, and took an hour and a half to remove (feeling all that still was nowhere near as bad as the tooth pain that led to it, though).

Well, I had to have stitches because the hole in my gums was too big. But it wasn't done correctly. So over the past couple years, I unknowingly had a pocket of flesh in my mouth that was not being reached by brushing. Food and bacteria were constantly collecting in it. When I went to the dentist this time, he said I had an active infection in my gums from this, and have probably had it for a long time. Which is likely why I kept getting sick over the past year or two. Also, this infection had spread quite a bit.

So they had to remove 5 teeth, and check my jaw some. But because of a swelling in my throat, likely from this same infection, they could not sedate me. So again, Novocain and numbing agents were used, and again, it didn't totally work. Felt this operation too. I gotta say, feeling someone saw through a tooth into a nerve is pretty awful. But all the damage is out. I start gum therapy soon, and if all goes well, I should feel a lot better. And once I'm home from tour, I can look into getting some titanium implants put in. I will become part robot, which is pretty neat.

I will likely be recovering some on into the first tour, but I did Europe last time with a busted back, so I can handle this. The hard part is gonna be making this music video while recovering. But I will give it my best.

I'm actually really tired pretty often. Hahaha. I have to change my scheduling next year. I'm really having trouble keeping up anymore.
  11. MagicalZebra Active Member

It sounds like you need to have a big rest. We like your music, but if you died or even had a mental collapse that would be totally not cool.
  12. Carrie Potter Member

Congrats on eventually being part robot... you've certainly had a rough journey to reach that pinnacle. Ouch. Good luck with the music video and touring!! That's got to be a blast.
  13. ben Administrator

Yeah, I wanna die from something more interesting. But I'm pretty sure if I die tragically and relatively young it'll make my music more meaningful. Or so I'm told.

Touring can be stressful, so I'm always mixed on it. If I don't get sick it's pretty cool though. But I like making videos a lot. I'll just see how it goes while recovering. I guess if I need to have blood come out of my mouth, then I got that covered.
    Carrie Potter and MagicalZebra like this.
  14. hughesypf Active Member

Gees, that sounds pretty awful, but I wish you a speedy recovery! Oh and I echo the words of MZ, haha. Your music doesn't need to be any more meaningful!
  15. uublog New Member

Any update on The Branches or did it already come out and I just missed it?
  16. Corvus Member

The Branches is coming out October 22nd. No word on Bastards 2 yet.
  17. uublog New Member

That's what I meant to write, but I'm an idiot
  18. a flicker of light Active Member

Possible options for pre-order?

Just throwing it out there.
  19. Carrie Potter Member

Haha Ben, you crack me up. Please come to Louisiana. BTW, I'm all for a pre-order! Lettuce give you money.
  20. Craig Member

Radical Face The Family Tree: The Branches Track Listing:

1. Gray Skies
    2. Holy Branches
    3. The Mute
    4. Reminders
    5. Summer Skeletons
    6. The Crooked Kind
    7. Chains
    8. Letters Home
    9. From the Mouth of an Injured Head
    10. Southern Snow