Dear Ben, Q&A?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by colonyinthesky, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Corvus Member

Ben, was the line "So sleep well tonight, and dream some good things" from "Farewell" foreshadowing the following Electric President album?
    a flicker of light likes this.
  2. ben Administrator

Not exactly. I think it's more that it helped shape where Sleep Well went. I did use the connection intentionally, but I didn't know at the time I wrote it what the next album would be. I built the connection after the fact.
  3. Carrie Potter Member

I'm loving the forum's search function... I'm happy to discover this and I hope y'all start making music babies together again! I love Electric President. Proof: I listen to Mr. Gone daily haha I love it! How does working with another musician happen for you? You fly solo so often... you and Alex must mesh pretty well. I'd like to imagine that you start a line and he finishes it (I obviously am not a musician and have not written/recorded anything before), or is it more of an idea for a song/album that's worked out together along the way? Just curious!
  4. neonbible Member

Electric President S/T is without doubt one of my favourite albums in the past 10 years. I can never tire of it. So the possibility of another album is fantastic news.
    MagicalZebra likes this.
  5. Ellie Ann New Member

I just wanted to thank you so much for letting me stream your song, "Always Gold" in every digital version of my book. I put an intro to the song and what it means to The Silver Sickle at the end, like it's the 'ending credits' song. The multi-media aspect has created such a deeper story.

The Silver Sickle is about a young girl trapped in a harem who must take down an extraterrestrial regime. Think Biblical Esther meets District 9. With robots. I was having so much trouble defining the relationship between Farissa, the girl trapped in the harem, and Zel, the guy who loves her and tries to break her out. While I was mulling over it, Always Gold came on and perfectly described their relationship! Even though Always Gold is about two brothers, not lovers, it completely captures the ridiculous beauty of opposites who love each other.
    Here's a link to my book:
    http://ellieann.net/projects/the-silver-sickle

Attached Files:

6. Carrie Potter Member

I bought the Electric President S/T album last week, and I love it!! For some reason, "Insomnia" makes me want to listen to Greg Laswell's "It comes and goes."

I'm so happy to see (from July 18th blog post) that Ben and Alex plan to get together soon for some more Electric President magic. Woooo!
  7. a flicker of light Active Member

And maybe I'm asking for to much, but can anyone, (or Ben if allowed the time) find the lyrics for Clock Is The Magician?
    I'm really digging the story log that's included with the song, but wanted to read it out if it was at all avalible.
  8. Corvus Member

That part of that song is a great example of while I love Ben's early recordings. This is what I have, maybe someone else can fill in the ??? parts.

You've got to think before you speak
    You've got to pray before you sleep
    You've got to grin before you weep
    Before you lose a week, and never eat
    Before you swim, before you sink
    Before you lose integrity

All the dirty clothes hampering
    you were a cuneiforming a society
    for the people who can't elope is on the
    tables made of granites not what you think
    about the strange taste in my mouthing off to your folks

"Riddle me this", says the woody curtain cretin picking handouts from his teeth with a bulletproof
    toothpick. And his hand grenade smile only makes me want to ???, only glass eye is martyred with spidered rain cracks, and he turns to me asks me as I'm passing by, "If a sleeping man takes sleeping pills (Cough cough hack cough), then where are his car keys?" I shrug and I twiddle my thumbs, and study my shoes, and then he turns to me and says "They're in the ash tray next to his coat. Sorry, but you lose." I don't give him a dollar.

??? off into the sun, ??? upon the floor
    And the leaves are falling from the trees
    And the concrete bike rack in the ??? in the coat room, next to the windows to the soul, while resting in my heading south for another chance to ???
    And the clock is the magician, pulling time out of thin air
  9. eighttwelve New Member

Where can I access this song Clock Is the Magician? What album's it from, never heard of it, but curious to hear it.
  10. MagicalZebra Active Member

I must admit I haven't heard Clock Is The Magician, I'd like to know where I can listen to it as well! As for where it's from, I doubt it's on an album at all. There are loads of miscellaneous tracks floating around in the voids of the internet and presumably his personal files which are like special secret Ben-gems.
  11. Fabh Member

12. quasar-2009 Member

MagicalZebra likes this.
  13. Corvus Member

quasar-2009 and MagicalZebra like this.
  14. hughesypf Active Member

I'm always amazed at how much early Ben material there is! Is there anyway of downloading from Grooveshark? Or is anyone aware of other places to get those albums?

Oh, and looking through songlists, I just noticed something... Crooked Teeth, Missing Teeth, Pigeon Teeth ... seems Ben sure likes teeth!
  15. quasar-2009 Member

16. hughesypf Active Member

Thank you very much!
  17. a flicker of light Active Member

I'd love to get the full lyric of this piece though, if Ben has some time to stop playing DOTA 2 and find the scrap piece of paper with the lyrics on it, that'd be wonderful. LOL
    MagicalZebra likes this.
  18. quasar-2009 Member

WHY

does anyone have any ideas? lol

P.S. i believe it's "And his hand grenade smile makes me more uncomfortable than his only glass eye is marred with spidery rain cracks."
  19. ben Administrator

Hahaha. I forget that some of my old 4 track recordings are floating around out there. A lot of those are from 200-2002, either solo or messing around with Alex. I also have a good 20 or 30 songs I never gave away at all from my teenage years. Lots of fake bands and joke songs too. Junkyard Chandelier was my first attempt at an actual record, followed by S/T and then Ghost. But I recorded around 100 songs before I did Junkyard, I'd say.

I'm recovering from surgery, so I'm pretty much just playing Dota2 and eating yogurt until I'm well again. But I'd have to hear the songs to remember the lyrics. I'll see if I have a copy anywhere. It's all in old notebooks too, but I may have thrown those away on accident during the last move.
    a flicker of light likes this.
  20. MagicalZebra Active Member

Weird, you don't look 1800.
    quasar-2009 likes this.